Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said on Thursday that the federal government was ready to hold negotiations with the opposition, stating that “it takes two to tango”. Addressing the federal cabinet meeting, the prime minister said it was now up to the opposition to decide when it wanted to come to the negotiating table. “We are ready for meaningful dialogue. For this, I am inviting the opposition from this forum for talks to resolve all matters via dialogue,” said PM Shehbaz. He said constructive engagement could help strengthen the country’s democracy and support its economic development. The prime minister’s latest offer comes despite previous rounds of talks with the major opposition party, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), failing to yield a breakthrough. The renewed offer follows the Supreme Court’s ruling ordering Adiala jail authorities to shift incarcerated PTI founder Imran Khan to Shifa International Hospital, a longstanding demand of the former ruling party. Imran, 73, has remained in prison since August 2023 following convictions he and his party describe as politically motivated. Since his ouster in April 2022 following a no-confidence vote, he has faced multiple legal cases. The court’s order has potentially created an opening for political engagement, with recent statements from senior figures on both sides indicating a willingness to lower tensions and revive stalled dialogue. PTI Chairman Barrister Gohar Ali Khan welcomed the SC ruling and expressed hope that implementation of judicial orders would help reduce the country’s political temperature. He called for the government to prioritise dialogue over measures that could further deepen political divisions. “Measures should be taken to resolve political differences through dialogue,” Gohar said, while urging political leaders to avoid statements that could escalate tensions. Cabinet approves military-related draft bills In the same huddle, the federal cabinet approved the draft Defence Forces Act 2026 and amendments to the National Command Authority Act 2010, following the constitutional changes introduced through the 27th Constitutional Amendment. The cabinet meeting, chaired by PM Shehbaz, approved the Defence Forces Act 2026, which seeks to provide the necessary legal and administrative framework concerning the office of the Chief of Defence Forces and the Chief of Defence Forces Headquarters. Following the cabinet’s approval, the draft Defence Forces Act 2026 will be presented before parliament for consideration and approval during its ongoing session, a press release issued by the PM Office said. The cabinet also approved amendments to the National Command Authority Act 2010, which were deemed necessary following the 27th Constitutional Amendment. The amended draft of the National Command Authority Act 2010 will also be presented before parliament for approval. The 27th Constitutional Amendment was passed by parliament in November last year, altering the defence and judicial architecture of the country.
‘It takes two to tango’: PM Shehbaz extends olive branch to opposition

